Sunday, November 14, 2010

Month 1

It's officially been one month of married life and I've realized I haven't posted about the wedding. I have some notes that I scribbled on the plane flight to Maui which I will post at another time, but for now, I will just focus on just one word: evolving.

I've closed the page on a prior chapter in my life, and together, my wife and I have started a new chapter. The last chapter was about discovery. Discovering first loves and heartbreaks, first gains and losses, first jobs and new friends. It was a lot of firsts. It opened my eyes to how big the world is and how small I really am. It was about defining the goals for the journey ahead and it was about "Timshel". It was about saying, "this is my life, there's a lot of things I can do, but it's what I choose to do that defines me." I look back over the years and at my friends and loved ones, even the ones that I will likely never speak to again, and I say thank you. I am deeply grateful for the gifts they've given me in time, love and experience. It was an amazing chapter and they defined me just as much as I defined myself.

But I am also evolving. My goals and priorities are morphing. It's no longer me, my family and friends, but its my wife and I, my family and friends. I'm no longer hunting, but instead I'm farming. I'm now cultivating for the next generation. Pretending to act like an adult. Preparing for the unknown, unknowns that wait in this chapter and constantly, every day, striving to improve. Its time for my partner and I to do our best on what we choose to do. It defines us, together.

1 comment:

banrock said...

Thanks for sharing this. It's such a thoughtful and accurate way of looking at marriage. I wish I'd have been so clear about things in my first month.